Page 1 of 1
Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 23:32
KDL
Hello, this is the first Car::Load's public preview
Current release: v1.6
it has a lot of bugs to be fixed still it's "runnable"

This program allows you to preview a car outside Re-Volt (with little editing support) besides of tests around the car. a good tool for car makers (and manager)

screenshot:

Download:
from box.net other mirrors

You are going to need .NET framework 3.5, Consolas Font, Calibri Font in order to run it in a proper way.

Posted: 03 Apr 2011, 00:53
the_law
looks interesting and impressive...more convenient than blender for browsing the cars.

Posted: 03 Apr 2011, 17:49
Skarma
Nice! Will definatly come in handy for my garage folder.

Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 06:51
jigebren
Interesting project. By chance I have the 3.5 .NET framework already installed on my system so I decided to give it a try. But the setup failed, not sure why, maybe because I blocked internet access. So I tried to remove the ".deploy" extension of each .exe and .dll files and was finally able to launch it that way (no install).
Could indeed be a nice tool to preview cars, etc. Good luck with this project.
(On the other hand, it's likely that next time I do a clean reinstall of my computer, I'll never reinstall this 230MB .NET framework...)

Posted: 11 Apr 2011, 22:52
KDL
thanks guys :)
I believe .NET pack is needed for nowadays' applications, that's why I thought it would be better to program it in Irrlicht/.NET than in openGL/VB6

Posted: 26 Sep 2011, 11:20
KDL

Hello, this is a small milestone in Car::Load
Current version: 1.8.3 pre-alpha

Now Car::Load is able to :
- edit positions in 3D
- toggle textured, untextured*
- render ENV map (sadly can't mix between alpha channel and envmap)
- edit parameters*
- sounds and wheel spin
- paint mode
- poly instead of tris count
- shadows, plane
etc..
with many bugs fixes

Note: *: still WIP, not finished yet
Note: Axles, springs and PINs aren't "positioned" yet (I won't be using matrix, but simple cos,sin and positions)

Car::Load on my blog (for changelog, latest news, known bugs and future plans

Download link (may be unstable)

Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 22:45
MythicMonkey
KDL wrote:I was away and now I'll be passing those 2 weeks developing Car::Load and several mini stuffs for Re-Volt, so I'll be working on them (and fix nVolt rendering engine) . There is a great possibility of fully finishing Car::Load before the next year.

First, I never know that Car::Load crashes, usually, when I test them (now in 2 computers, I'll add a Virtual XP later to make them 3), crashes don't happen and thus, A reporting application will be needed.
But I guess it's something that can't wait, can you please copy paste the "details" of fatal crash?

About the latest version which has many fixed (v1.8.4) and can be dlded from This link.

For bug reports and other stuffs, I'll be supporting them in ORP.
I must say I am very pleased to hear this. It is tools like this that make it easier for slightly lazy people like myself to get motivated to make custom vehicles. :D

I mentioned in another thread that Car::Load was crashing at startup on me. That was with v183. Just to make sure I was giving you information on your latest release, I downloaded v184 and gave that a try. I am happy to report that the program opens normally now. I appreciate your 'triple testing' so to speak, as I am using winXPsp3.

As for other issues, are you interested in hearing about problems with spring display? Your last post regarding v1.8.3 pre-alpha said axles, springs and pins weren't positioned yet so I don't want to tell you something you already know. I've got some that are doing some pretty funky things though, so let me know if you want a screenshot of the damage. :)

Posted: 22 Dec 2011, 00:08
KDL
Sure, everything is welcome. The more bugs reported the better program would be :)
I'm very interested in every bug even the old ones.

Posted: 22 Dec 2011, 05:57
MythicMonkey
Here are some screenshots of a few of the cars that are exhibiting the problem. Essentially the springs seem to be either stretched or missing altogether. Perhaps something is wrong with the code that finds the attachment point on the wheels.

Check them out here

Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 17:59
KDL
Ok, I'll be seeing them right now :)
-------------------------------------------------------

So v1.8.4 Changelog:
+ improved for PCs that use "," for separating mantissa from characteristic [FIX]
+ improved for laptops [FIX]
+ GUIed the opacity, shading, scaling [NEW]
+ customization: Light mode, custom floor, custom lighting [NEW]
+ fixed stuffs with technical words [FIX]

To be done:
# fixing the stuffs 100%
#Great thanks to CityWalker, the AI for everyone will be added soon
# other editing modes
etc...
----------------------------------------------
v1.8.4i changelog (intermediary version to v1.8.5)

+ cleaning source code [FIX]
+ implemented a new GUI component: KDLcheckbox [NEW]
+ fixed "wheels edit" problems [FIX]
+ Fully control the toggle view mode [MOD]
+ Background color: pick and fully customize it [FIX]
+ minor bug fixes [FIX]
+ Settings/Editor conflicts is now cleared [FIX]

#NOT FINISHED
- AutoShader for CarLoad
- Wheels 3D editing
- pins render
- suspensions and AI
- Spinner
- Reloader

#to be checked
* Running on every computer

If you're interested more in the technicals and not the bug fixes, please avoid downloading this package.
<<Screenshot>>
Download link

The next version is codenamed: "Car.Edit()" (1.8.5) and features a full 3D/2D editor for parameters (including CW's AI algorithm's tutorial)

Posted: 23 Dec 2011, 20:08
MythicMonkey
Wow, this is really coming along nicely. Kudos on your dedication and hard work, KDL. :)

Say, if you are looking for yet one more feature to include, may I suggest a mechanism for viewing the SteerRatio and MaxPos of the wheels? In addition to the benefit of being able to turn the wheels for screenshots, I would personally find it most helpful to have an immediate visual indication of a car's max turning radius. It would also be nice to able see the amount of travel that each wheel has when I am tuning the suspension.

And I guess there is one more thing that would be super cool if you could manage it...how about adding a section for the antenna? I end up repositioning the antenna on almost every car I repain/re-tune, and aside from being a minor pain in the rear finding the right placement point, getting the vertical position right is really difficult without lots of trial and error. Now this might be more work than it's worth, but if you wanted to add a fob to that functionality, you could add a button to 'check stiffness' or similar that gave the antenna a bit of a kinetic impulse so you could see how much it wiggles. I admit that it may be that once you get a good value you can just use that for all your cars, but it is also true that I do like to tailor it a bit for individual vehicles.

That last bit is more frosting than cake, but I thought I would toss it up there since you already have so many cool features and are now changing it to a full-blown car editing app, so I thought you might want to include a few more useful functions. I offer these up because it's something that I do for pretty much every car that I work on. Perhaps it is the same for others. Just a suggestion. :)

Posted: 24 Dec 2011, 04:31
KDL
Thanks for your kind words :)

Actually I like all of them, may I use them? (credited of course) :3

Posted: 24 Dec 2011, 20:07
MythicMonkey
Absolutely. Please feel free. :)

I didn't want to throw too much at you, but you seem genuinely interested in making this an app to be proud of, so perhaps I will share some more thoughts with you regarding this fine project... :D

To begin, let me say that any individual suggestions that I might make in regard to this app are focused towards the overall goal of making the process of creating new cars...either completely from scratch or doing a repaint and tune...as user-friendly and efficient as possible. To that end I will attempt to describe both the perceived need and the proposed solution. If you have a better idea for implementing something, then by all means run with it. Know also that there would be more smiling in this post, but I seem to have run into an emoticon limit...heheh. <insert smiley face here>

Currently my process involves countless cycles of closing and opening the game with tweaks to the parameter file in between. The things I suggest come from my own recent experience with creating new cars (currently from existing ones) for Re-Volt. It is my belief however, that other people would also benefit from them.

Aside from the necessary reload of the changed parameters, I need to actually see/feel how those changes affect the car's handling. For the final tuning there is going to be no replacement for just plain racing the car, but many gross adjustments could be made before the car ever hits the track. Since there was no (obvious) objection to being able to add an impulse to the antenna, perhaps this next one is possible.

Like I said, there is nothing that will take the place of getting behind the keys and taking it for a spin in Re-Volt, but is there any way you can get the cars to drop onto an invisible floor when they are first displayed kind of like they do when you choose them at the select screen or by using shift+F10 and -dev mode to reload the car in-game? The way the car bounces would give you at least some indication of weight as well as spring compression and rebound. This would allow you to establish the basic 'character' of the vehicle without a lot of time-consuming trial and error. Even better, you could have this happen when you hit the 'Refresh' button on the End User panel.

Oh boy...this one just came to mind. It would be SO helpful to have a visual indicator of the COM position. A 'Show COM' checkbox that displayed the center of mass would save me a bunch of time. This is something that I check and often modify for every vehicle that I do, and currently it involves quite a bit of guesswork in determining where it lies. If you could count on the fact that 0,0,0 was the exact center of the vehicle, that would be one thing, but determining that is an exercise in spacial visualization at best. At worst, some of these vehicles seem to have some weird offsets that make it difficult to pin down what's going on.

This is just a thought, but since this point is quite often inside the vehicle, perhaps you could force ghost display mode while this is active, or at least present it as an option. It would be awfully nice to be able to have a visual indicator displayed right on the vehicle that updates dynamically or by hitting the Refresh button. Ideally I think this would be a widget that displayed the X,Y,Z axis with the center representing the placement of the COM. It would also be especially helpful if this widget showed which way was positive and which negative.

Heheh...I can't seem to stop them, the ideas just keep comin'. I just had another one. :D

Another piece of guesswork is just how far to move any given element. For instance, let's say I want to add an antenna to a car that doesn't yet have one, like one where all the values have been zeroed out by the creator. Or here's another one...just a day or two ago I took the spinning turret off of Sgt. Stomp and stuck it on my repaint of Wardog, making it the War Wolf. It would have taken a lot less time finding the right spot on top of the cab if I had the overall dimensions of the vehicle to work with. I made it work, I'm just saying it would have been easier. <insert smiley face here>

In this situation and in others I would imagine, it would be helpful to know exactly how big any given vehicle is in 'RV Units', so to speak. So perhaps while the COM widget is active...or maybe even better as simply a seperate checkbox/function...you could have something that displays the height, width and length of the vehicle as interpreted by Re-Volt.

Now in regard to the section concerning the wheels... :D

Perhaps this is something that you simply haven't gotten to yet, and if so then please disregard the following. I notice currently however, that when you select the wheels, only one set of values is displayed. Is this the final intended functionality? Is so, may I suggest that you at least seperate the front from the rear wheels? I will agree that left and right sides will almost always be the same, except in the case of certain extreme vehicles, but front and rear values very often differ. This will be the same for the springs.

I know you said that 'Wheels 3D editing' wasn't finished, but I'm not sure if that included what is mentioned above. So like I said, just disregard if you haven't reached that point yet. Otherwise, there are a few thoughts that might be of some use to you as you flesh out your app. :)

Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 00:57
KDL
Hello MythicMonkey, thanks for suggestions (will be credited of course) :)
I've printed all of your work and translated it to developer's language and all of your ideas are more than fantastic, thanks a lot :D

Currently, I'm still thinking about v1.8.5 (codenamed Car Studio) and its GUI. I know Car.load()'s current GUI is not good enough and tiny for car developer (and definitely has many problems) so I'm still thinking of:
1. making a new program or a sub program based on OpenGL and GDI/GDI+/SDL (a button to launch the program)

Code: Select all

End User tab, Car Studio Tab for launching it OR just a new program
2. making a sub program that works along Car.Load() based on GDI+ and Irrlicht with "edit dialog" bigger and "preview window" smaller

Code: Select all

seamless
And currently, I'm collecting every suggestion given to me (Thank you and thanks to CityWalker, Burner94, Halogaland) and making a good plan for the new Car.load()