Page 1 of 1
Posted: 02 Oct 2009, 12:11
Aeon
I haven't touched these lately, but I went ahead and uploaded the latest versions of both the cars and the (non-lego) tracks here:

http://files.byondhome.com/Foomer/Aeoni ... nloads.htm

That link is also available through my signature.

Hopefully nobody has a problem with me posting modified versions of their tracks or cars.

This way you should be able to install a fresh copy of Re-Volt, delete all the cars and tracks, then download these cars and tracks and optionally the sounds set, and see what racing future cars is supposed to be like.

I recommend racing in first person, pure racing with no power ups.

Now all that's left is to modify the executable so replace the default cars and tracks, and include the proper sky maps (Newk has a red sky now). I'd also like to use _inmm.dll to include some music, but I'd probably need to provide a second executable for that since not everyone is using it.

Posted: 02 Oct 2009, 16:07
urnemanden
I always wondered how the _inmm.dll worked, but hopefully it works like when you get the music from the CD?

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 00:01
Aeon
It just plays music for the game normally as long as you have the ini file pointing to the mp3 songs that you want played, and you have to include those somewhere.

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 00:42
urnemanden
Aah, neat ! I will try that out soon, hopefully it works with DEV too.

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 11:38
Aeon
Has anyone actually tried these properly yet? (Instead of just downloading and cramming them in with all your other cars) I'd love to get some meaningful feedback from people.

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 16:54
MOH
i would try them but ive already got 3 revolts on my pc :(

edit: actually i think il put a fourth one on :P

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 17:40
MOH
Ive just tried this and on first impressions... WOW. i really enjoy this, i love the way the cars drive especially thorax. i like the way how you have to maintain your speed well, because of the slow acceleration. I found newk to be the easiest track, my best result was second, having never raced that track before. maybe it was beginners luck :D

Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 23:20
Aeon
Heh, I have 4 Re-Volt installs too: RV Tuners, RV-RC, FutureCars and the one with all the tools and junk.

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the idea was with slower acceleration but high top speed you'll have to maintain your speed to win the race. The cars drive fairly straightforward without a lot of sliding mostly because this is how the AI handles best, and that's one of the most entertaining aspects of this - the AI can be fairly competent.

Its actually even harder trying to play this in campaign mode (which can only be done with a modified executable), since not only are you required to place at least 3rd in each race, but the AI can race in cars that are considered better than yours.

It also can make a difference which cars you drive on which tracks. Pure speed cars do better on longer, straighter tracks while cars like Thorax tend to do better on technical tracks.

(PS, I'd jump for joy if I could get someone else interested in modeling cars for these sets. I need at least 28 for a complete cars set, and I only have 20. Of course I also need about 13 tracks and I only have 6, some of which kinda suck...)

Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 00:53
MOH
id be quite happy to make some models if u want. theyre quite easy to make

Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 04:08
Aeon
That would be awesome. I'd love to have some extra cars. Just as long as they're not making the other cars look bad. :P

Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 07:36
Aeon
I wonder if I should just chock up this whole idea as a lost cause since nobody seems to care much.

Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 09:43
zagames
It's just a slow period...

Posted: 07 Nov 2009, 01:11
Aeon
zagames @ Nov 5 2009, 08:13 PM wrote: It's just a slow period...
When is it not a slow period?

Posted: 07 Nov 2009, 09:31
zagames
:P

Posted: 07 Nov 2009, 15:44
urnemanden
Is championship mode working when playing with your cars and your tracks? I've tried other "mods" where you only are able to drive Single Race, way too same-like compared to good old Re-Volt.

Posted: 08 Nov 2009, 01:33
Aeon
urnemanden @ Nov 7 2009, 02:14 AM wrote: Is championship mode working when playing with your cars and your tracks? I've tried other "mods" where you only are able to drive Single Race, way too same-like compared to good old Re-Volt.
I have a replacement exectuable that lets you play these tracks in campaign mode, as well as turning those cars into the default cars and incorporating custom skymaps. However, at the moment the executable is used with _inmm.dll so as to play background music, and I'm not sure if I should put that version up for download without having a non-music version as well, since it would probably just give most people errors unless they have _inmm.dll installed.

Posted: 08 Nov 2009, 01:41
urnemanden
That sounds really interesting, Aeon. I would like to it out, I just need that _inmm.dll installed first, I remember I saw a tutorial somewhere once, do you have a link to one or do you know how to configure _inmm.dll right?

Thank you

Posted: 08 Nov 2009, 04:22
Aeon
I think you can download and read the manual here:

www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/

However, the page is in Japanese, so you should look up that address in Google and get it auto-translated.